Bookish Topic Tuesday
End of Year Book Survey – 2013
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Ah this is such a tough decision. I really loved The Sending because I had been waiting to read it for so long. And American Gods was very good. And The Newsflesh Trilogy (Feed, Deadline, Blackout) were damn good as well. So I guess there’s my answer.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Oooh I guess American Gods, that was quite unexpected, and it was most definitely in a good way!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I’ve been recommending the Newsflesh series to a lot of people, but I don’t think anyone has taken it up yet….
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
Looks like I’m going to repeat myself a few times. Cause it’s Newsflesh! Hands down!
6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2013?
Mira Grant. I’m not purposely doing this, but seriously, definitely my favourite new author.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I guess of the classics I have read this year, it would be The Crucible.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
Oops, here we go again, the Newsflesh trilogy fit this criteria too well! And it would be a tie between all three of these books.
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Oh, I want to say The Sending, since I may reread that before the next book, but no idea whether it’ll be out yet.
10. Most memorable character in 2013?
This is a tough one. There are so many characters, I don’t really know who to pick.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
I think it would be A Thousand Splendid Suns which I just read days ago, but American Gods comes pretty close.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
I’m not sure to be honest. Perhaps The Road or Nineteen Eighty-Four (both of which I’m yet to write a post about, but I’ll get there!)
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Hmm perhaps Lord of the Flies, simply because I missed reading it at school, and it seems like such a classic.
15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
I have no clue. Perhaps in 2014 I should keep a record of these….
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest – Animal Farm, so very short but with such a strong message.
Longest — I guess it’s technically Lord of the Rings, though The Stone Key comes pretty close.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
Oooh The Sending and also The Newsflesh Trilogy.
18. Favourite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Nothing really stands out so I’ll just say Elspeth and Rushton from the Obernewtyn Chronicles.
19. Favourite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
I’d say The Sending.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
A Thousand Splendid Suns was a book that I was given by my Nana, and I had no idea what it was about, and I really liked it!
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Oh I don’t know, I guess YA or fantasy.
22. Best 2013 debut you read?
I don’t think I read anything from a debut author…
23. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Um I’d say The Road by Cormac McCarthy it was vividly bleak.
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Oooh, perhaps Mark of Athena (I’m still waiting to get around to House of Hades, hurry up library!)
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Ah, I think that would be The Fault in Our Stars
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
Definitely Newsflesh, I cannot stress enough how amazing they are!
1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2013?
I think it would be The Bookshelf of Emily J. I don’t really get around to reading too many blogs, but I really like hers!
2. Favourite review that you wrote in 2013?
Ah, I have no idea. Anyone want to choose for me?
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I’m not sure, but I guess they’d be in my Bookish Topic Tuesday posts
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
Um, I don’t think I really participated in anything this year, perhaps next year…
5. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
I’m pretty overjoyed that this year I have had over 22,000 views, which is way up on last year! And there’s been more commenting too which is something I really appreciate.
6. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
By views it would have to be the short story of The Devil and Daniel Webster, most likely due to it’s high Google Rank since the blog has Daniel in the title, so it’s up near the top of the search results. And it’s ahead in views by over 1,000! Then it’s another short story, Three Questions. then a Book Thief post, Growing Up A Saumensch, which also has a good ranking on Google since there aren’t too many things with saumensch in their title. And fourth would be this The Casual Vacancy – #2.
In terms of comments it would be this, the first, The Sending post.
7. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I’m not too sure, perhaps this post about copyright
8. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Well I did enjoy finding this new Book Blogging site, a great little community has started to form there.
9. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Well I set myself to read 45 books this year, and I’m super close, so, almost complete!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Refer to this post
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
Um well, potentially it’ll be The Red Queen, but who knows if that is coming out yet, otherwise I guess it’ll be the last book in the Heroes of Olympus series.
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
I have no clue, I am not up with debuts at all!
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
I have to say The Obernewtyn Chronicles, but right now it’s unclear whether or not the final book will make it out in 2014.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I guess keep challenging myself with other genres to keep my reading horizons open. In terms of blogging, trying to get more involved in the community perhaps, and keep up at least a review a week!
I hope everyone has a wonderful New Year and I thank everyone for being apart of this blogging journey with me!