Finally! After a number of years, I don’t even know how many for sure, but definitely not as long as some people have been waiting for The Sending (which after all turns out not to be the final book in the series, just as The Stone Key did once upon a time). I’ll talk about The Sending properly tomorrow, like when it came out, the cover, like I usually do, but today, as you could tell by the title, I want predictions.
I haven’t read a single word of The Sending, well actually that isn’t true, I read the first word when I bought the copy (a day or two before the ‘release date’ since a department store had one copy out already, and funny story, and I’ll tell you tomorrow) because I allowed myself that one concession (and I’ll explain tomorrow why it’s taken me so long to get around to reading it!). Plus I have read a snippet that was posted on Obernewtyn.net, and all I remember is wolves. Plus I know about one of the locations that is going to be introduced again because of Obernwetyn.net, but I’m not mad, because I still have no knowledge about anything in this story, and it’s my fault for getting involved with an online community when I hadn’t read everything. So yes, I honestly know nothing.
Now after just finishing The Stone Key there are a lot of questions to be answered (I have over 30, they are listed below in case you are interested), and how many The Sending will actually answer, I’m not sure, but I think that of the 30 I’ve got in my head, I’ll probably get answers to about 12, and I’ll raise at least 7 more questions in the process. So I think it is obvious that there a lot of mysteries to be solved yet, and I love it.
So here is my list of questions that I currently have:
Who is Salamander? Is it a she? Where did he/she come from? What is Ariel, is he the Destroyer? Why was Matthew in that true dream? How will they get to the Red Queen’s Land? Where is the statue that marks the safe passage agreement? What is the ancient promises that Elspeth will fulfill?How will Elspeth lead the animals to their freedom? Where are the weaponmachines located? How will Elspeth get there? Where is Dragon? How is Angina going, honestly? Who are the white-faced lords? What is going on with Atthis? Who/what is the H’rayka? What is entina? Maruman or Merimyn? What is on the other levels of the Beforetime Complex with Ines? Will the Sadorians stop bathing, and will the insects work? What will they reveal in this new taint-free world? Where was Jacob Obernewtyn going in his radiation suit? Where is Hannah’s body and the key that she was supposed to have? Jes? Wolves? Darga? Miryum and Straaka? What’s going to happen to Malik and his crimes? I’m sure there are more questions, but these are all I could think or, and there are already a lot here!
So now for predictions, what is going to happen in The Sending, what are we going to see, and of the above questions, what do I think the answers are going to be? It goes without saying that you should not correct me on any of my predictions, and you should not point out where I should find the answers, or if I shall find them out in The Sending, honestly please do not spoil this, please the one exception is to cypher your text in rot13, so that I have no idea what you are saying! But feel free to discuss among yourselves in rot13, I’ll read them soon enough.
- I’ll start off with some more ‘safe’ predictions, we aren’t going to the Red Queen’s Land, that is saved for the final book, since it is after all titled The Red Queen. But we will definitely see preparation for this journey happening, and by the end of the book we should be on the ship.
- As for who is going to go, pretty much everyone, Dameon, Rushton, Brydda, Dragon, Elspeth, Daffyd, Miky, Gilbert, Gwynedd, Dardelan, Jakoby, Maruman, Gahltha and maybe Swallow. I have a little feeling that maybe Elspeth, Maruman and Gahltha won’t be on the ship and will somehow end up in the Red Queen’s Land, but that seems implausible
- Darga is going to show up with the pack of dogs that was predicted. How this can happen and nobody else get really suspicious I’m not sure
- There is going to be a heartwrenching scene where Elspeth has to leave Rushton, without saying goodbye
- We will see a memory of the Great White as it happened, or one very close to its happening
- Elspeth will find the statue/thing that marks the agreement of safe passage, and it will be in Murmroth, simply because Elspeth hasn’t been there
- I think the ancient promises with Swallow will be complete, Elspeth needs to have finished at least one of her three destinies, she can’t do them all in the final book
- As for what they are, I guess it is just something that Cassy said to make sure the Seeker got all the signs that were to be placed in the Land
- Gavyn will disappear, maybe he will bring back Darga
- Elspeth will make contact with Matthew again through the dreamtrails
- We will see a ‘memory’ of Matthew spotting Ariel, and possibly Salamander will be with him, but not in disguise
- Salamander is Seresh, and if not, Seresh has an important role to play
- The White Faced lords will get a few more mentions
- Atthis is dying, and I don’t think she’ll be replaced, as once the Seeker’s destiny is complete there won’t be any more Agyllians
- We’ll find out more about Maruman’s past, I was going to say he dies, but that won’t work since Elspeth wouldn’t be able to get into the weaponmachines complex, so he must live, but my guess is that after that, he’ll die/disappear
- Miryum is not dead, and will turn up somewhere unexpected, I almost want to say Jes is alive, but I feel that might be pushing it
- Elspeth is going to go after Jacob Obernewtyn and into the Blacklands, since she must get the key that he has (or did Hannah have it, not sure)
- I thought Dragon might have gone to the Beforetime library complex/ruins since that is where she went when she first came here, but that wouldn’t make sense. So Dragon (I don’t think she was taken by someone) is, gosh I have no idea. Where are you Dragon? Maybe she has slipped over to the west coast. Oh, that gives me an idea, maybe Dragon has ended up going to the ocean and contacting one of the ship-fish, and they have taken her somewhere, obviously not the Red Queen’s Land since that is way too long! But maybe we won’t find her at all
- Speaking of Dragon, the stone sword is hers, why did Cassy make a stone sword for her, I don’t know. I think the cover for the Red Queen indicates as much
- Entina is just a huge ass scary beast that kills people, and is stuck in the cave because there is taint there and it has adapted to it. Or, it is not a beast at all, and is some sort of time portal or computermachine, farfetched but still (my guess is that this isn’t answered until the next book)
- We’ll meet probably three new characters (as in more than just a passing reference, and who could be important) and we’ll be going to at least four places Elspeth has never been before. Plus Elspeth will definitely travel the dreamtrails again, despite Maruman’s warning, and will come very close to being trapped by the Destroyer/H’yraka
- The Destroyer is…. I have no idea, it could be Ariel, but I don’t think so, it could me Matthew, why else was he in that tunnel thing, honestly it could be anyone at this point. You want me to pick? I think that Matthew is almost too obvious, like a red-herring, but then I immediately think is Isobelle Carmody trying to make it a red-herring that it is a red-herring, so he really is, but she makes it look like it is a red-herring. I almost want to say Dameon, but no I don’t think so. I think it has to be someone we have seen, and it has to be unexpected, which I guess is why I have thought that maybe it is Jes, that would make some sort of sense, brother vs sister. And maybe Jes was just taken by some sort of Destroyer version of Atthis/Agyllians, and has been groomed to destroy the world. But I’m going to say not. So who then? Seresh? But then I don’t think so if she is Salamander. Gah, I know it won’t be revealed in this book, I’m certain of that, but there are going to be clues, that can point to a number of different people. But I’m going to point my finger to Gavyn, don’t ask why, just because.
- Oh and we’ll end on a cliffhanger!
Well there are 23 of my predictions. How many turn out to be true, we shall have to wait and see. Some of them you may know already, but there are a few that nobody apart from Isobelle Carmody and maybe her editor know the answer to. Hope you’ve found my predictions interesting, and I’ll see you tomorrow with a discussion about The Sending, its front cover, history, and my history involving The Obernewtyn Chronicles!