With The Sending over and it fresh in my mind, it’s probably the best time to start theorising and predicting what’s going to happen in THE FINAL book in the series, where everything is going to (somehow) come together. For more theorising you definitely need to check out the threads over at Obernewtyn.net, there are a lot of very well thought out theories, and it’s a great place to discuss any ideas you have. Since I’m going to assume everyone has read The Sending, there will be spoilers for the entire series, and if you want to use spoilers in your comments, you can do so, since if you’re reading this, you’ve probably read everything by now.
So what do I think is going to be in the final book and what’s going to happen? Well, I guess this means, it’s list time! This is really more of a list of ideas, rather than predictions, but I’ll do that at the end.
- Ok, so Elspeth is obviously going to find herself waking up in the Beforetime city, with the efari, and it won’t take her too long at all to find Miryum and wake up her.
- As for the efari, my guess is that they aren’t actually people, I think they are probably robots designed to protect the city. I think it makes more sense that the efari are robots, I mean just look at the suit this one had. Which is going to make everything a challenge, if these are robots, they aren’t really going to be easily swayed. But what are they guarding the city for? Beasts? Wandering people like Elspeth? I don’t think the efari took the wolves, actually I’m not sure, because why would the efari pop up from under the sand? Maybe the efari are protecting the city against Chinon and maybe the White faced-lords. Or maybe they were designed to protect this place which has important stuff (more on that in a sec)
- Which means, the efari are just the guardians of the Beforetime city, there are people around. Not many, but there are people still surviving. I don’t think the efari are sophisticated enough to put Miryum and Cassy into stasis, there has to be someone pulling some of the ropes. Maybe there are descendants from the Beforetime Misfits here?
- As for what ‘here’ is, I don’t believe it is the Sentinel, it’d be a nice thought, but I know Isobelle has said that Elspeth goes to the Red Land physically, and why else would she do that, if the Sentinel wasn’t there? So this Pellanor Quadrant is, hmm, a facility of some sort, possibly the Eden project is involved. Since that would make sense with the cryogenics that was said to have been moved there.
- So why is Elspeth heading there? To get Hannah’s key, I guess. Which means Jacob would have made it to the city, before being captured by the efari, which brings an interesting thought, if there really is cryogenics, then maybe Jacob is still alive? Personally I think that the efari or whoever put the people into stasis, so they actually heal from the taint poisoning, using whatever fancy medicines they have in this place, and I’d say they’d reanimate them later, since what’s the point of keeping them frozen forever?
- So if Jacob is alive, he would have the key, but this would make things very awkward and weird. Would he try to continue on with them? If he is alive, he is very old. And maybe he isn’t alive, and he’s just turned himself into a computer program, so he can appear to be alive, to help people or more importantly, see Hannah again.
- A bigger question is, could Cassy still be alive, frozen in animation? We saw her there at one point, but we have no idea when that was in the time scale. It would be interesting if she was alive, but I don’t see the point of her still being alive. It’d be handy, but I doubt she is alive. But, since she vanished from Sador, anything is technically possible.
- What’s the deal with the stone sword? That is a very good question, because it isn’t related to Elspeth’s quest, but it belongs to someone. But that someone couldn’t actually have had it when Cassy made it, since they’d be dead (unless of course Jacob is alive or something). I though it might be Dragon’s, but we really need to translate it to find out, and I think the efari/Beforetime people will be able to help.
- How is the final scene going to go down? Obviously it’s Destroyer v Elspeth, and Elspeth is going to win, but as to how and why, I really have no idea. I just can’t think of how Elspeth has to destroy the sentinel.
- As for Elspeth’s other destiny to lead the beasts to the freerunning barud, I have no idea. Maybe the eden project has to do with it, maybe not. I just don’t actually like the idea that the beasts saviour is a world without humans. Hold on, is the wording funaga? That’s usually used with derision, so maybe the funaga become beasts again, or something?
Okay some more definite, proper predictions:
- Dragon, Ahmedri, Swallow and Analivia are all alive. Dameon, however is not (one of them HAS to die!). Neither is either Darga or Gahltha, one of them has died, and it will make Elspeth so sad. Gavyn and Rasial are also alive, since they still have roles to play, and one can’t survive without the other (gosh that sounds like Harry Potter!).
- Ahmedri is going to collect Straaka’s bones, and be off, after that, he has no role in the quest itself, so I don’t think he’ll be allowed to remain.
- Atthis’ replacement, will arrive at the end of part one, and take Elspeth, Maruman and Dragon off to the Red Land! I think that’s a good explanation of how they’ll get there, and sadly everyone else will have to be left behind. Maybe Swallow will come along too, but he might not want to leave Analivia.
- Rushton is going to wake up, and they are all going to make it to the red land, coincidentally at the same time as Elspeth/Dragon/Maruman.
- I honestly can’t see how they can defeat the slavers without Dragon, so they’ll only be able to hold them off for a moment, before Dragon arrives to set off the rebellion.
- That rebellion will be somewhat short lived, as the white faced lords return with weapons and start blasting at them and destroying much of the place. They in turn will actually be destroyed by Salamander and Ariel in someway. Or maybe, the efari can come give them a hand?
- The Sentinel is most definitely in the Red Land, and the entina is either related to the sentinel, or it will help defeat the white faced lords somehow.
- Dragon, Elspeth and Matthew will have to work together to find the final sign, and that will be awkward for a bit
- Ok, this should be a given, that Elspeth will be successful and the Destroyer doesn’t win, because that would be such a bummer to end the book on! “The world ended.” IC wouldn’t be that cruel.
- So who is the Destroyer, which is like the ultimate question. I have to say Jes, I just don’t think he’s dead, he was in Obernewtyn (which is according to IC one of the criteria, but she could always be lying or careful with her words, how do we know she isn’t saying they’ve been to Obernewtyn, which ironically would rule out Jes), it would be somewhat fitting (brother v sister), and he had the killing power, which would most certainly give him the means to destroy the world. Where has he been this whole time? I would say Ariel has had him, that’s a possibility, but I’m not sure. If Jes isn’t the Destroyer, he isn’t dead. My backup for the Destroyer, is probably Daffyd, he’s been around from the start, and pops up every now and again, so if Jes isn’t it, it’s Daffyd.
- Elspeth and Rushton WILL be together, and they WILL get back to Obernewtyn because I said so.
- Dragon and Matthew will stay in the Red Land, and maybe that’s the free running barud, like it was when Dragon’s mother was in charge.
- Swallow and Analivia will be together, but will stay in the Red Land (or even Pellamor Quadrant)
- Maruman will disappear after the quest, since his role in the world is done (like Gandalf, he’s just an immortal being who is here for the final quest).
Out there prediction for bonus points:
- Elspeth is pregnant! I don’t think she is, but there is a possibility that she is. Why else is she peeing so much. (Is Elspeth’s baby the Destroyer???????)
- Ariel actually saves the day, and isn’t all that bad, but still is eaten by entina.
- Malik isn’t dead, or someone else we thought dead is still alive!
- Things are unexpected!
- Is it evil to think that maybe the book will end with the need to defeat the White Faced lords, and Elspeth has now a new purpose in life?
It’s actually really hard to imagine what’s going to be in the final book. I sometimes struggle to think how IC will be able to wrap everything up in a manageable sized book, maybe it should be 2000 pages! Well the wait begins! I’ll keep you update on news about The Red Queen!